Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Hebrews 12: I Can See for Miles and Miles...


Have you ever stood on top of a mountain? Not a hill, but a mountain. 

I've had the privilege on two occasions. I've been to 10,000 feet twice in my life. The first time was a volcano in the middle of the ocean, the second a mountain range in Utah. The most amazing part (for me at least) is just soaking in all that you can see. The planet seems way bigger and you feel so much smaller in that setting. It's the true definition of "awesome". 

This weeks as I read through Hebrews 12, I couldn't help but feel like I was standing on a spiritual mountain. The author is culminating all the previous chapters, and a whole lot of Judeo-Christian theology in these final passages....and man, it is awesome. Working through Hebrews over the past 4 months has been a climb and now at the peak I feel like I can see God's work from a higher perspective and it just seems so much bigger, and I feel so much smaller (in a John 3:30 way). 

On top of "Mt. Hebrews" (as I'll refer to this chapter), we are called to persevere to the summit enduring hardships along the way. Each trial a loving rebuke from the Father. The journey will be hard, but that's what makes it worth the while. In fact, the summit is so glorious, the author says we should do all we can to help others reach it as well. 

And finally, the author himself talks about two mountains; Mt. Sinai and Mt. Zion. Contrasting the two in a spiritual context so as to highlight the New Covenant we have in the blood of Jesus Christ. Now we truly have a way to God our Father. 

One day in the future, those mountains I stood on and everything I could see will all pass away and all that will remain is His Heavenly Kingdom. And because of Jesus, I'll get to join God on the other side of eternity. What an amazing and humbling thought. I hope you enjoy our discussion of Hebrews 12 this week as we share to what spiritual mountain tops the Holy Spirit led us. 


 



Show Notes









No comments:

Post a Comment