Thursday, February 16, 2017

Review: Called & Accountable


Hey everyone, Richard here! I wanted to share with everyone a Devotional that I recently finished with a Lunch Group that I meet with each week. Called & Accountable: Discovering Your Place in God's Eternal Purpose is the study that this 52-week devotional is based upon.

I was first introduced to the name Blackaby about 6 years ago when a small group I was part of worked through the highly acclaimed Experiencing God Bible Study. It remains to this day, the most challenging study I've been through and I can honestly say that my walk with Christ truly matured upon completing it. I highly encourage any believer, new or old, to rise to the challenge presented by the Experiencing God study. If you are one of the lucky ones to have first hand knowledge of this study, please leave your thoughts in the comments below.

But back to Called & Accountable, which Henry co-authored with his brother Norman. This devotional is a year long journey with the Blackaby brothers designed to push the reader towards examining your walk with Christ and are you maturing and growing as we are...well...called and accountable according to the Living Word of God. 😉

Each week begins with a passage of Scripture that sets the tone for the following short devotional. Then ends with some practical questions and a prayer to recite throughout that week as you meditate upon the theme discussed. The chapters build upon what you've read to date, but can surely stand on their own just as well. As you go through the year, you'll come across some familiar verses and ideas, but also be challenged with introspective and convicting study questions.

If you like a spiritual challenge and are looking for something to keep your daily thoughts anchored on Jesus, but don't want to commit to a lengthy book, please take my recommendation for Called & Accountable. Each week takes about 10-15 minutes to read through, while the acompanying prayer and passage  are short enough to memorize and carry with you as you go about your week. I hope you find it as engaging and accessible as my lunch group did.

The book is available on Amazon.com and make sure you look for the 52-week devotional not the book itself. We had more than one of our group make that mistake. Not knocking the complete study book, but it won't serve as well as a weekly devotional. If you've been through this devotional, I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.


"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path"
                                                                         - Psalm 119:105


No comments:

Post a Comment